I bought my Satmap GPS a few years ago and i have eventually sussed out most things. I have never found it “Easy” as numerous YouTube review vids suggest.
To me it uses “Negative Logic”.
That’s my terminology btw for something that works the opposite way round to the way i think. For example if you want a route to “start" you press “stop”. etc etc.
Now like i say, i have got used to it except that if i don’t use it often enough i forget steps. Probably a sign of old age creeping on. The other thing is, i use it on an Apple Mac so i have an extra step to do to be able to get my .map and .gpx files into a folder on my computer that Windows users don’t. Again this is more a nuisance than a problem.
I waited for quite sometime before i downloaded the latest version of Apple Mountain Lion software, thinking that the longer i leave it the more glitches will be sorted.
The first usb connected devices i used worked ok. Apple mp3 player and Sony camera.
Then i plugged in the satmap active 10. It didn’t work.
I checked the Satmap website to see if it was compatable and low and behold a complete new set of software to download was there.
I ditched all my 32 bit versions except Silverlight and downloaded all the new 64 bit versions. (Silverlight wasn’t included in the must download).
I tried the Active 10 now thinking all was fine. Wrong! It still didn’t work.
I emailed the good people at Satmap and waited.
In the meantime and purely by chance i was looking through System Preferences, Security tag, and noticed that Mountain Lion had changed my default settings so that instead of me being able to download Apps from “anywhere" i could only download them from the App store. Naughty Apple and very selfish. (Satmap, please add this issue to your download page)
I changed the setting back to Anywhere. I can make my own decisions "thank you Apple software designers!”
So after about an hour i retried the Active 10. The Satsync and File converter worked and i was able to put my .map files into file converter and the converted .gpx file into my finder folder. Great. Yipee.
I went to the Satmap website and opened Xplorer, My Xplorer and clicked Upload files.
I got the “Browse” box and clicked it. I searched my folder and i clicked the file i wanted to upload.
I got a Yellow warning triangle with an exclamation mark inside. I clicked on the exclamation mark and get a message saying “There is no path.” Wonderful.
I contacted Satmap again and told them all the above.
They came back quickly and told me to try and drag and drop the .gpx file into planner. It didn’t work.
They told me to go to planner and use the Upload arrow in the “Tools” on the LH side. I did, and it didn’t work.
They told me to email them the .map and .gpx files which i did and they said there is no problem with the files.
They told me to ditch silverlight and download the latest version. I did and it still didn’t work.
They told me to "set up a new account" and start again. I did and yes you guessed. It didn’t work.
So i tried it on a windows set up and everything worked fine. So i now know the problem has nothing to do with anything on the Active 10 device itself and its all related to Mountain Lion and Satmaps interface. It must be because it worked perfect on OSX Snow Leopard.
There’s nothing i can do at all. I am now in Satmaps hands. I do hope they resolve it quickly.
Technology is supposed to make our lives easier and less stressful. Ha! If only it was funny. My recent encounters with this device, On Line banking, my printer, my cookers programmer, my Macs video card, my Nexus 7’s 2 x failures, Vodafone PAYG, my broadband speed with SKY, leads me to believe otherwise.
I think the customer is being used as a guinea pig to resolve problems so that companies can release devices faster than their competition.
So anyone out there who has Mountain Lion and Satmap active 10 and has had problems please feel free to get it off your chest. If you have a resolution please feel empowered to spill the beans. PLEASE.
Since this post i have now completely started again. Deleted everything and re-installed everything. I have upgraded Maverick and thought all would be well
Wrong. It still doesn’t work
I have been back in touch with Satmap Uk who replied saying they are at a loss as to why its not working and it will have to be passed over to the software developers and it may take months to resolve.
How do we get into this situation. This problem has cost me hours and hours. In fact no, days and days.
I don’t believe i can be the only one with this issue. I have very little 3rd party software and am just a home user with no networking etc etc. In other words i am the “Easiest” of users.