The Vault Regulars

Friday, August 23, 2019

My ongoing battle with anxiety and panic attacks.

It's been a while since i was on the Internet, writing or reading. It's not easy to know where to start but i will try and hope that my situation might help other sufferers. I am writing this still in recovery with many moments of dread but i am in a good frame of mind at the moment so here goes.

Myself i consider to be level head, adventurous, an outdoor person, a backpacker of many years, someone who has seen much of the world. I love challenges and problem solving and always take the hard route rather than the easy way. I have always pushed myself, so the following tale came as a shock to all my family and friends as well as myself.

I had a few minor panic attacks over the last 5 years or so, they didn't cause me any real problems and considering that i got shingles i put it down to this and almost forgot about them. Just occasionally an attack would come on but they were infrequent and short lived.

Over the last couple of years our lives and plans had more or less come to a stop because of the ongoing health problems with Dorothy, Sheila's mum. She had had heart and kidney problems which caused all sorts of other issues and meant that we supported her in every way on a 24/7 basis.
As you can imagine, this caused much stress and anguish and you don't realise how it affects you because it creeps up on you and becomes the norm.
Everyone says you need to look after yourselves, but what does that really mean?

Late last year i started to have uncomfortable sensations in the area of my solar plexus. I eventually went to the docs and had a scan and blood tests. All results came back clear.
The sensations became uncomfortable and more frequent so i went back and the doc sent me for a more comprehensive scan and more blood tests. All came back clear.

The panic attacks returned with a vengeance and i was having one or two per night. They were getting stronger and longer lasting and in some instances i wasn't sure exactly where i was. I was in a right state.
Sheila helped me through them and i went back to the docs. She said it seems like anxiety and I just dismissed it, saying theres nothing mentally wrong with me. Anyway she stuck with it and convinced me to try some tablets called Sertraline, only a low dose of 20mg once per day.
She said that they are not good at first but after 2 weeks i should start to feel better. She said she would call me and that i had to see her again in 4 weeks.

The tablets were awful to live with, i thought i was going backwards. Those first 2 weeks must have worried Sheila to death. Again, i was in a right state. My energy levels were zero and the feeling of sea sickness was constant. At times i just lay in the reclining chair with my eyes closed not really thinking anything and saying nothing. Sheila would convince me to eat but i could only manage a spoon full of soup and that was it. I couldn't stand.

During this period we decided that we couldn't get through this without professional help. I plucked up the courage and rang an organisation called Looking Ahead. I had a telephone interview within a couple of days and the result was that i needed CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy). The interview lasted 45 minutes and at the end said that there was a waiting list for treatment of 5 months. I needed help right now. I couldn't wait 5 days never mind 5 months. This really deflated us both.

We decided to go private, whatever it cost. I needed help.
I managed to get an appointment to see a therapist at the Pall Mall clinic on King Street, Manchester within 5 days.
I was scared to death getting into Manchester on my first visit, like a rabbit in the headlights. What ever was said to me or what ever was happening seemed to take a few seconds to register, so it was like I was dreaming it all. I wasn't sure that I could go into the clinic but it was the best thing i could have done. It's not easy when you feel so bad but you need to have an open mind and a willingness to help yourself. I had both.

After an hour and a quarter i came out with a smile on my face. The first smile in weeks and weeks. This was only the first of many steps i needed to take but i was happy that i had made a start. I had been told that you do need to like the therapist and be able to talk openly. I was quickly put at ease and i found the therapist easy to talk too. Listening was hard work though and I remember asking time and time again to repeat.

I was given homework and a training regime to re-train my brain which had gone back to the days thousands of years ago when all we did was fight for our life or run away. I saw the therapist every week and gradually started to make progress.

My energy levels were still poor but i had to go for a walk on my own 3 times a day, just short distances and about 15 minutes. I had breathing exercises to do and muscle work. The short walks were a means of convincing the brain that i could do this and there wasnt a lion waiting around every corner. This will probably sound odd to readers but the brain rules everything and mine wasn't sending messages out normally, retraining the brain takes a lot of time.

After a few weeks of therapy and self training i felt that i could go out for longer walks with Sheila as well as doing the short walks on my own. The longer walks were only 30 minutes but they encountered friends and neighbours. I was dreading that and having to tell people. As it happens everyone has been so supportive even though they couldn't understand how i had succumbed to Anxiety.

We had been invited to a local friends 70th birthday party but because we had planned going to Scotland for a month i had said we wouldn't be at home. Now that Scotland had been cancelled i felt we should go to the partyand show our face. It was the wrong decision. It was too soon to face a crowd.

I stood at the bar with a non alcoholic drink and friends were coming over for a chat, i could see their lips moving but the words were a few seconds delayed and i found that i was looking at them vaguely. I started to panic and told Sheila i had to get out, which we did. That night i had a panic attack and the following day I was awful. I just crashed out, I didn't move all day.

Over the following weeks there were numerous similar experiences and taking on new challenges like going shopping or a quick trip to the pub was quite daunting. We met our local landlord one day when out on a walk and we told him what was happening. He couldn't believe it. I said to him that i needed to come into the pub and just have a coke. So that night i gritted my teeth and nervously entered. Straight away the landlord said "a coke Alan" and with some shaking i managed it.

The second time i went into the pub we met a person who told us his mum had just died and he was suffering anxiety. Well i just burst into tears and left immediately. That put me back a bit and i couldn't wait for the next therapy session.

A few weeks later and the tablets were controlling my emotions better i decided to go for a walk in Moses Gate Country Park, a place that i had never been before. When we got there i found that i had left the map at home and was so annoyed with myself i let it spoil the day. Usually this wouldn't have bothered me, an email to the therapist calmed me down.

Everyones anxiety is different and so i can only explain my experience. Anxiety is like waking up in a pitch black dark tunnel which is sloping upwards. I woke up somewhere near the bottom of the tunnel the route out is upwards but there are many obstacles to get out. I couldn't see the obstacles but the therapist and Sheila helped me overcome them. You cannot get through the obstacles alone because they don't make sense, you need help.
If you try and do this alone, it becomes easier to slip out at the bottom of the tunnel and that's where you find the horror. The motorway bridge, the river, the cliff, your worst nightmare. The trouble is you don't know you are actually there or why.

Right now as I write this i am not quite out of the tunnel but i can now see the hurdles i have to overcome. Its still not easy and i still need a lot of help. My therapy sessions are over but i can contact the therapist at any time. Sheila and I are going to Greece very soon and 3 months ago i couldn't see us going.

Hiking is a no no at the moment, i'm not allowed to plan anything that i might fail at. I had to stop reading blogs because of the frustration they caused. Backpacking is something i might never get to do again, i will just have to wait and see how i progress. 
Hopefully the change of scenery in Greece will assist me to get better.

Thanks to everyone who has been supportive of me at this time. You know who you are.
Without Sheila and the therapist i dread to think where i would be. But i am making good progress.

Never stop believing, never give up hope, this is only temporary.
Thanks for reading.



Gayle said...

Sorry to hear what you've been going through, Alan, but pleased to hear that things are improving. Hope you have a top time in Greece.

GeoffC said...

Alan I'm very sorry to hear your quite alarming tale, told with such detail and candour. It's relatively easy to visualise physical problems when the mind is healthy, though that's bad enough, but when the problem affects the mind itself, it's terrible.

I can only wish you the very best in whatever treatment you undergo and hope you are back out fairly soon for some therapeutic walking.

Al said...

Hi Alan
A remarkably candid post Alan, I'm sure it must have been very difficult to compose.
I suppose we all have our "demons".
I really hope you both enjoy your time in Greece.
Take care, all the best.

Sir Hugh said...

I have replied by email.

afootinthehills said...

We are so sorry to hear of this Alan, but perhaps you found writing the post therapeutic in itself. We do hope so. Enjoy Greece and all the very best for the quickest possible recovery.

AlanR said...

Thanks everyone for the good wishes. It’s been an awful time for us both. The trouble I have now is body strength, I soon loose energy. Mentally I feel I am winning the battle but I need to keep positive and stay away from stressful situations. I’ve been told not to plan anything but do more spontaneous.
Hopefully my post will give other sufferers the will to fight and know they are not alone.

Dave said...

Hi Alan, and before anything else sorry to hear about your recent experiences and glad that you've been able to find a way to move things in the right direction.

I know you're not ready for the blogs just yet, but when you are it might be worthwhile taking a look at Keith Foskett's site ( Keith is a long-distance walker and author who also sometimes writes openly about issues he has had to deal with away from the trails. I wouldn't suggest that his experiences are identical, but there might be something there which strikes a chord.

In any even - all the very best


AlanR said...

Thanks Dave, I have read one of Keith’s Books on digital media. At this moment I can’t remember which one it was. When I am ready I will revisit his books. Thanks again for the suggestion.

BG! said...

I'm told that it takes a while to get used to Sertraline, and even longer to get off it, so any alternative is worth a pop. Hope things get better for you soon. Fingers crossed for you, Alan.

AlanR said...

Thanks Conrad you are a star.

AlanR said...

BG. I am hoping to be off Sertraline in October so I don’t think it’s worth changing. If the doc wants me to stay on them longer then I will talk to her about changing. Thanks and I hope you are ok too.

Gene Is Lucky said...

I salute your determination and work to improve. I admire you for knowing when to seek help. Best wishes for your continued recovery.

AlanR said...

Thanks for reading Gene.

Louise said...

Sorry to hear your struggles, I understand how debilitating anxiety can be, I'm glad you feel things are improving for you and hope Greece is the rest you need. Be patient with yourself.

AlanR said...

Hi Louise, good to hear from you and thanks. I think anxiety is mis labelled. It’s not about worry in my case. I said to Sheila today that I felt good and she said it’s the first time since May.
It’s a long road to recovery but patience is a virtue of mine. I will beat it.

These Boots said...

Hi AlanR, I follow your blog & am sorry to hear of your anxiety & panic attacks. It's a subject very close to my heart as close family members are also suffering. Wishing you a safe and complete recovery. Take care :)

AlanR said...

Hi, sorry to hear you have family suffering. I have never come across sufferers before and I knew nothing at all about it. I didn’t believe I could have it. It’s a very debilitating and frightening disorder that creeps up on you. I don’t think I could have managed without therapy and strong family. Sufferers need masses of support even though family cannot understand what is actually happening. I hope by reading my problem you have gained some comfort.

John J said...

Anxiety and panic attacks can happen to anybody, at any time.
I've been there and it's not good.
You've done brilliantly to open up, that's surely a sign of recovery - well done!
Anyroadup I won't write too much here, I'll drop you an email.
Take care - and love to Sheila.

AlanR said...

Cheers JJ. Good to hear from you.

Find it Here

About Me

My other blog.